A Goodbye Message from Our Director

Dear colleagues and friends, as of November 15th I will leave my position as Director of the Health Initiative of the Americas (HIA) at UC Berkeley and will begin a new chapter as Project Manager at the University of California, San Diego.

I am grateful for the 20 years I spent working at HIA, coordinating campaigns and projects at local, national, and international levels, facilitating research and collaborations to address unmet health needs of the migrant population. HIA gave me the opportunity to grow as a person and as a professional in public health and offered me the privilege to work with wonderful partners and colleagues.

It’s comforting to know that I leave HIA in good hands. Xochitl Castañeda, our Founder Director, will continue with the program and will carry our mission of working for the health and wellbeing of migrant communities.

As for myself, I am excited at what the near future will bring. The project I will manage at UCSD, within the Altman Clinical and Translational Research Institute (ACTRI), aims to develop and implement a precision, community-based approach to address health problems related to adverse childhood experiences (ACEs) among Latino families in San Diego County. This is a new challenge and at the same time a wonderful opportunity to continue helping my community.

Thank you so much for your support and your partnership, and I hope we can find new ways to continue collaborating.

In gratitude,
Liliana